Thoughts on Turning 24

7/31/2015


This year, my parents celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary. Born a year and 6 days after they got married, I had a different vision of what my life would be like when they did. When I was younger, I thought that by the time I would be 24, I would be working and able to afford to send them on a trip abroad as a surprise. I thought by the time I turned 24, I'd be living on my own and maybe even have someone special. But, life sure doesn't work the way you want it to.
  -----
Turning 24 makes me feel like a young teenager all over again; I remember turning 13 and 14 and still feeling like a kid. Like, "No. You're not a real teenager yet!" Turning 24 is like that--like I'm not a girl, not yet a woman, to borrow a song title from Britney Spears. It's like, I've finally in my 20's and there's no way but up, but I still feel out of place in the world of twenty-somethings. Maybe because I'm still in school, or maybe because I know how life pans out from here on out: work, first car, first condo/house, engagement, marriage, kids, etc, and these are things I can't seem to swallow just yet even though some of my friends are moving towards that direction. Ah, maybe I'm really just a late bloomer. 

Turning 24, according to some articles, shouldn't be celebrated because it's an inconsequential age. They say, 25 is the age to be celebrated because it's a milestone. I, however, think that every age should be celebrated. Not because I'm a fan of birthdays (hello, one day a year dedicated to you!) but because reaching another year and another day in your life is something worth celebrating. It may sound cliche but be thankful for each day you wake in the morning, because as you do, someone is taking their last breath.

I went to mass the night before my actual birthday because I spent my birthday at our college sports fest (you know naman, course representative duties). The Gospel and message really touched my heart; how timely that it was all about the Lord's providence! And I felt enlightened cause the priest even called those celebrating their birthdays in front to give his blessing, something which he doesn't normally do. :)

Reading through my birthday greetings, be it through Facebook, Twitter or texts made me realize how lucky and #blessed of a girl I truly am. Imagine, I get to hear from different people I've met and encountered in my life--like my college roommates, dorm mates, org mates, teachers, fellow bloggers, etc. I've met so many people!! But, that's just one aspect of my life I'm blessed at. It's not just the people I'm blessed with. I'm #blessed because God's given me all I could ever need and more, my whole life.


Here's a few photos of how I spent my birthday:
(Actually 2 photos. I don't have more cause I was running around, making sure we had players for every game)


with Krishalette and Jois (whose birthday falls a day after mine) at the SEA Liga (sports fest). 

Since my and Jois's birthdays are only a day apart, we decided to just split a treat for our classmates. It felt weird but nice to finally spend a birthday with people outside my family (but I got emotional when I got home kasi nga I didn't get to spend the actual day with my family and I've been coming home late the days prior so I didn't get to see them as much).

So, I don't mind much if life did not go the way I planned, because I know the Lord has much much greater plans for me than I could ever imagine. Besides, who I am now is a cumulative of all the experiences I've undergone and despite everything that happened to me--both bad and good-- I like myself. I accept myself. I like the way I am.

Twenty four, I'm ready four (pun intended) you! :)

TWITTER | TUMBLR| INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | CHICTOPIA

Please like Davao Fashion Bloggers on Facebook

2 comments

  1. Farrah dearie...you are blessed..and always remember that ur cdsi family is always proud of you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...