Meet Mark Oliver

9/12/2011

It's been almost 2 years now since my friends and I started sponsoring Mark Oliver through World Vision PhilippinesWorld Vision Philippines is a Christian relief, development and advocacy organization dedicated to working with children, families and their communities worldwide to reach their full potential by addressing the causes of poverty and injustice (from their website). This means that they help make disadvantaged communities sustainable through various programs.

Our sponsored child Mark Oliver, is 9 years old, like my brother. He is the eldest in a brood of 3 siblings. He lives with his grandparents because his mom works in the city. He walks 2km to school (that is about a lap around the UP Academic Oval), and is tasked to fetch water (that's his assigned chore at home). Marco, as he's called, wants to be a doctor. :-)




He writes us every now and then. When we write him a lot, he writes us a lot back too. So far the year's been busy so I haven't the chance to write again. We also owe him a Christmas 2010 and birthday gift! I was touched when I read a card he sent us that said one of the best things he got last year was this book we sent him for his birthday. It really brought tears to my eyes.

I just wanted to share this story cause I am so grateful that God gave us the means to be able to help their family. Every time I feel the urge to be selfish, I remember Mark Oliver who is content with his simple life. He wrote me once that he is happy because he is able to eat thrice a day! Sometimes, I think of him and realize that he has helped me in a lot of ways more than I have helped him...and we haven't even met yet! I hope after graduation, we'd get the chance to visit him! :-)

I also wanted to share this because it's actually really easy to sponsor a child. It's just Php600 a month or Php20 a day! What is Php600 worth usually? A meal, a bag, 2 pairs of cheap shoes, load, one afternoon at the mall? That's not so much to give up, right? You can even share with a friend the sponsorship, like I did. I cannot even put to mind how World Vision is able to help SO many families with a Php600 pledge.

So, what are you waiting for? Click here for details on how to sponsor a child.

Contact info:
World Vision Development Foundation, Inc.
389 Quezon Avenue corner West 6th St. West Triangle, Quezon City 1104 Philippines
Phone: (2) 3747618 to 28 | Fax: (2) 3747661 |
Web: http://www.worldvision.org.ph/


**I must say though that usually, they don't let you pick your sponsored child. If you want to pick your sponsored child, they can let you do so in the booths they have at the mall. I don't know about other malls, but they usually have booths in TriNoMa or SM North Annex.

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...